This is the final lesson in the Precision Measuring Instruments Course. This lesson describes the purpose and the basic components of dial indicators.
- List some of the common uses of a dial indicator and explain how a dial indicator works.
- Explain how to determine if a reading is positive or negative.
- Describe the procedure for determining if a dial indicator is positioned properly.
- Describe how to determine if the dial indicator is secure.
- Measure small changes in dimension by using a dial indicator.
The lessons in Precision Measuring Instruments were designed for employees in all disciplines as well as for the multi-craft training needs of process and manufacturing facilities. In order to successfully complete these lessons participants should be familiar with whole number operations and decimals. This course describes the purpose and the basic components of some common precision measuring instruments. The course also provides procedures for properly using each of these instruments to measure the dimensions of an object.