This is the second lesson in the Precision Measuring Instruments Course. This lesson describes the purpose and the basic components of outside micrometers, inside micrometers, and depth micrometers.
- Identify the main components of an outside, inside, and depth micrometer.
- Explain how to read a micrometer.
- Measure outside dimension using an outside micrometer.
- Measure inside dimension using an inside micrometer.
- Measure depth by using a depth micrometer.
The lessons in Precision Measuring Instruments were designed for employees in all disciplines as well as for the multi-craft training needs of process and manufacturing facilities. In order to successfully complete these lessons participants should be familiar with whole number operations and decimals. This course describes the purpose and the basic components of some common precision measuring instruments. The course also provides procedures for properly using each of these instruments to measure the dimensions of an object.