- Basic perforating components, equipment, operations, and design considerations.
- Explain the safety measures taken in perforating operations.
- Explain the principles behind a shaped charge.
- Describe different deployment options and equipment for perforating guns.
- Differentiate between wireline-deployed and tubing-deployed depth correlation methods.
- Describe the operation of the basic firing mechanism for perforating guns.
- List the three types of firing actuation.
- Describe the operation of mechanical-based and pressure-based firing actuators
This course on Perforating Fundamentals explains the basic concepts of perforating, including safety around explosives and the potential consequences of mistakes. It reviews topics related to shaped charges, including their design, completion, and detonation, as well as standoff, interference, and the manufacturing and performance of the shaped charge. The course then introduces perforating guns, including capsule guns, carrier guns, and pivot guns. Debris control and gun size are also discussed, along with tips on how to maximize clearance. The importance of the entrance hole diameter is reviewed. The course describes how perforating guns are run and fired in a well. A full range of firing systems and related equipment are discussed in the context of their field use. The course emphasizes safety procedures that must be followed in the field. It concludes with a review of supplemental equipment and perforating accessories.