Troubleshooting Excessive Leakage
This is the first lesson in the Centrifugal Pump Repair Course. This lesson introduces the components and operating principles of a typical centrifugal pump. Normal operating conditions for the pump are described and guidelines for troubleshooting excessive leakage are provided.
- Identify and describe the sealing surfaces on a centrifugal pump.
- Explain the purpose and conditions under which packing would be used.
- Explain the purpose of the lantern ring.
- Explain the purpose and conditions under which a mechanical seal would be used.
- Explain how to determine whether centrifugal pump leakage is excessive.
- Recognize causes and symptoms of excessive leakage.
This course is designed for all levels of maintenance personnel as well as for the multicraft training needs of process and manufacturing facilities. Participants should be familiar with the basic operation of centrifugal pumps. This course consists of six modules covering excessive leakage, temperature, loss of capacity, disassembly, inspection, and reassembly.